Our Mission Statement:

Learning Together 


Our Vision Statement:

SEN Information Report

Special arrangements in relation to COVID-19.

Following the closure of schools from the 23rd March 2020 Government guidelines stated:

Vulnerable children include those who have a social worker and those children and young people up to the age of 25 with education, health and care (EHC) plans.

Those with an EHC plan should be risk-assessed by their school in consultation with the local authority (LA) and parents, to decide whether they need to continue to be offered a school or college place in order to meet their needs, or whether they can safely have their needs met at home. This could include, if necessary, carers, therapists or clinicians visiting the home to provide any essential services. Many children and young people with EHC plans can safely remain at home.

In order to ensure that our pupils with EHC plans are supported we have consulted families with regards to whether or not their child needs to attend school. We have ensured that the expectations for work being done at home is understood and that pupils can access the work being set by school staff. As a school we are undertaking weekly check ins to ensure that pupils outcomes are kept at the forefront and that their emotional needs are being met. Work set by class teachers takes in to account the needs of the pupils in their classes and is open-ended in nature to allow pupils to engage with and further their own learning.

We are aware that the transition period for our pupils with SEND has been greatly affected by the current situation and we continue to work alongside our infant and secondary colleagues to ensure that the information needed is shared. As the summer term progresses we will begin to send out transition style material that will endeavour to support all our pupils at this transitional time.

Resources that support our pupils’ emotional and social development during this unprecedented time have been uploaded on to the school website in the SEND section. These will continue to be updated as time passes.

External agencies will only become involved if necessary following the usual graduated response process detailed below.

 Information Report for Children with Special Educational Needs


The Richard Heathcote Primary School, supported by Staffordshire Local Education Authority ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. Our school is an all-inclusive school.

Headteacher - Mrs L Chell

​SENCO - Mrs S Coll

​SEN Governor - Mr I Smith


Staffordshire Connects

To see what support is available in our local area, follow the link below.




School Based Information
People Responsible
Summary of Information


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with Learning/Special Educational Needs/Disability (SEND)?
Class Teacher
He/She is responsible for: 
*Ensuring that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as differentiation). 
*Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources, etc) and discussing amendments with the SENCO as necessary. 
*Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and /or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress. 
*Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources. 
*Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
He/She is responsible for:- 
*Co-ordinating all the support for children with Special Educational 
Needs and or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school. 
*Ensuring that you are:- 
- involved in supporting your child’s learning 
- kept informed about the support your child is getting 
- involved in reviewing how they are doing (at least three times each year) 
- part of planning ahead for them 
*Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning, et, The Speech and Language Therapy Service, The Educational Psychologist, Behavioural Support etc. 
*Updating the school’s SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in our school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs. 
*To provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEND) to achieve their full potential. 
*Supporting your child’s class teacher to write Personal Learning Plans.
Learning Support Assistant (LSA)

*Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school. 
A Learning Support Assistant (LSA) may be allocated to a pupil with exceptional special educational needs and/or disabilities and whilst they take a very valuable role in your child’s education we would prefer that questions regarding your child’s learning and progress are directed in the first instance to the staff members named above. 

Of course, as a school we welcome daily dialogue between parents and LSA’s on how a child’s day has been and we do actively encourage this continued feedback.

He/She is responsible for:- 
*The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEN and/or disabilities. He/She will give responsibility to the SENCO and class teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met. 
*He/She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.
SEND Governor
He/She is responsible for:- 
*Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy. 
*Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school. 
*Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN and/or disabilities. 
*Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves his/her potential whilst at school.


C. Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be all provided by the class teacher or may involve:

*Other staff in school

*Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority such as:- Autism Outreach Team or Sensory Services (for pupils with a hearing or visual need)

*Staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy, Young Minds, etc.

Types of support provided – also showing the stage of the Code of Practice children will be at when receiving this input.
What would this mean for your child?
Who can get this kind of support?
What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?
Class Teacher input via outstanding classroom teaching
*The teacher will have the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class 
*All teaching is based on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. 
*Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or providing different resources adapted for your child. ​
*Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or staff from outside agencies) to enable your child to access the learning task.
All children in school receive this.
Specific small group work. This group may be:- 
*Run in the classroom or outside 
*Run by a teacher or (most often) a Teaching Assistant who has received training to run these groups. 
These are often called Intervention groups by schools. This means children attending these groups have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.
*Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to close the gap between your child and their peers. 
*He/She will plan group sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress. 
*A Learning Support Assistant/ Intervention Teacher (or outside professional will run these small group sessions using the recommended programme personalised to meet the needs of those children.
Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning: they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.
Specialist groups run by outside agencies, ie, Speech and Language or Occupational Therapists who are supported by the School SENCO/Class Teacher.

*If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to good and outstanding classroom teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the school in enabling your child to make progress. 
*Before referrals are made you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward. 

*If it is agreed that the support of an outside agency is a way forward, you will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better. 
*The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:- 
*Making changes to the way your child is supported in class, eg, some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better 
*Support to set targets which will include their specific professional expertise 
*Your child’s involvement in a group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional eg, a social skills group or sensory circuit. 
*A group or individual work with an outside professional 
*The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support or group support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through whole class teaching and intervention groups.
Specified Individual Support for your child of more than 20 hours per week in school. 
This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Need or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher and SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual and small group teaching (more than 20 hours per week), which cannot be provided from the resources already delegated to the school. 
Usually, if your child requires this high level of support they may also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from: 
*Local Authority such as ASD or Sensory Services 
*Outside agencies such as Speech and Language, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapy or CAMHS.
*The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. 
*After the school have sent in the request to the 
Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. 
If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the appropriate support. 
*After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Educational Need or an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the appropriate support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible. 
*The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours or individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child. 
*The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning run individual 
programmes or run small or individual one to one support.
Children whose learning needs are:- 
*Severe, complex and lifelong 
*Need more than 20 hours support in school


How will we support your child with identified special needs when starting school?
*We will first invite you to visit the school with your child to have a look around and speak to staff. 
*If other professionals are involved, a Team Around the Child meeting will be held to discuss your child’s needs; share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts. 
*We may suggest adaptations to the settling in period to help your child to settle more easily.
How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
*If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially. 
*If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO or Headteacher. 
*If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEN Governor.
How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?
​*When a teacher or parent has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher will raise this with the SENCO. 
*Schools also have meetings every term between each class teacher and Headteacher in the school to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as expected. 
*If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will make a decision about whether to monitor this or set up an intervention group and will inform you. Your child will also receive additional support via the Raising Attainment Plan. 
*If your child is still not making expected progress the school will discuss with you: 
- any concerns you may have 
- any further interventions or referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning 
- how school and home can work together to support your child.
How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?
​*The school budget, received from Staffordshire LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN. 
*The Headteacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of the needs of the children currently in the school. 
*The Headteacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEN in the school, including, 
* the children getting extra support already 
* the children needing extra support 
* the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected. 
They then decide what resources/training and support is needed.
* All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made when needed.


​Who are the other people providing services to children with SEN in this school?
Directly funded by the school
​*counselling (Young Minds) 
*Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school 
*Additional Educational Psychology input to provide a higher level of service to the school (subject to funding) 
*Additional Educational Psychology Service (subject to funding)
Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school
*Enhanced Support 
*Autism Outreach Service 
*Educational Psychology Service 
*Specialist Learning Difficulties (SPLD) 
*Special Educational Needs Specialist Service Team (SENSS) 
*Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs 
*Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority. 
*Occupational Therapy 
*Professional training for school staff to deliver medical interventions. 
*Parent Partnership Service (to support families through the SEN 
processes and procedures)
Provided and paid for by the Health Service (NHS Trust) but delivered by school
​*School Nurse 
*Children and Adolescents Mental Health Team (CAMHS)
Voluntary agencies
*Dyslexia Action Group 
*National Austistic Society 


How are the adults in school helped to work with children with a SEND and what training do they have?
*The SENCO’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND. 
*The school has a performance management procedure in place which includes identified training needs for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEND. This may include whole school training on SEND issues or to support identified groups of learners in school, such as ASD and Dyslexia. 
*Whole staff training to disseminate knowledge, strategies and experience, to ensure consistency of the school’s approach for children with SEND. 
*Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, eg, from the ASD Outreach Service and Sensory Service or medical/health training to support staff in implementing care plans. 
Training takes place on a regular basis. If you would like to hear about the training which is currently taking place or has taken place by the staff members in school, please speak to the Headteacher or SENCO.
​How will teaching be adapted for my child with learning needs (SEN/and or disabilities)?
​*Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that learning tasks are adjusted in order to enable your child to access their learning as independently as possible. 
*Specially trained support staff can implement the teachers modified/adapted planning to support the needs of your child where necessary. 
*Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups. 
*Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs and increase your child’s access to what is on offer.
How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
*Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher. 
*His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a level is given in Reading, Writing,
​And how will I know about this?

​Maths and Science as well as progress in other areas, as appropriate, such as attendance, engagement in learning and behaviour. 
*If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum Levels, a more sensitive 

assessment tool is used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P Levels’. 
*Any children with a Special Educational Need will complete additional assessment in line with SEN guidance. 
*At the end of each key stage (ie, at the end of Year 2 and Year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally. 
*The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education. 
*The SENCO will also check that your child is making progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in. 
*A range of ways will be used to keep you informed, which may include:- 
- Home/School Links Book 
- Letters/Certificates sent home 
- Additional SEN consultation meetings three times each year and also as and when required 
- Reports

​What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEN/and or disabilities?
​*We would like you to talk to your child’s class teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school. This is to ensure that we are doing similar things to support them both at home and school and can share what is working in both places. 
*The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns or worries you may have. 
*All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you or where this is not possible , in a report. The SENCO will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child. 
*Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs . 
*A Home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child. 
In addition:- 
If your child is undergoing statutory assessment, you will also be supported by the Children’s Services SENSS Team. They will ensure that you fully understand the process.
How have we made this school physically accessible to children with SEND?
*The school is accessible to children with physical disability via ramps and wider doors. 
*We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs. 
*We have a disabled toilet on site and a nappy changing facility.
How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? Or moving on to another class?
We recognise that ‘moving on’ can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. 
*If your child is moving to another school:- 
- We will contact the new school’s SENCO and ensure they know about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. 
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible. 
*When moving classes in school:- 
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. 
- If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them if suitable. 
- We have transition sessions, where children get the opportunity to meet with their new class teacher and teaching assistant so that they become familiar with routines and rules ready for September. 
- At the end of each Transition period, we hold a yearly ‘Meet the Teacher’ Information Session for all parents so that all parents have the opportunity to meet the staff their children will be working with and also gain an insight into class expectations, routines and rules. This is also an ideal opportunity to discuss any worries or concerns you may have. 
*In Year Six:- 
- The SENCO/Class Teacher will attend the Primary Transition Day to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school, and the specialist session for students with an ASD, as appropriate. 
- Your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

Glossary of Terms

EHC Plan 
Individual Education Plan
Personal Learning Plan
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities 
Education, Health and Care Plan 
Speech and Language Therapist 
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service 
Educational Psychologist 
Autistic Spectrum Disorder
Autism Outreach Team 
Local Support Team 
Specific Learning Difficulties

Our classes

click on a class to read more